Who We Are
The Gary Animal Control Program was created by ordinance and occupies a unique position in the community by combining the activities of a law enforcement agency which protects animals. To fulfill the responsibilities the community has entrusted to us, we have established the following mission and objectives.
The animal control program's mission is to balance the health, safety and welfare needs of people and animals within the city of Gary by:
- Protecting the rights of people from the dangers and nuisances caused by uncontrolled animals.
- Ensuring the legal protection of animals from mistreatment.
- Promoting, motivating and enforcing responsible pet ownership.
- Providing animal related services to the citizens of Gary.
- Educating the public through presentations and public relations.
- Responding to questions citizens may have regarding animals and referring them, as necessary, the the correct party.
- Providing a lost and found service for lost pets to owners.
Our Vision of the Future
We envision the day when all citizens, their property and their neighborhoods will be safe from the dangers and nuisances of irresponsible pet ownership. We envision the day when animals will not suffer because of human abuse, neglect or ignorance. Our hope is that every pet born will be assured of a good home and care for all of it's natural life and that spaying/neutering of pets will be a positive choice by pet owners.
Darlene Breitenstein, Director
555 Polk St. Suite 0063
Gary, IN 46402
(219) 885-2407 Fax
Come Visit Us!
The shelter is easily accessible from either I94 or the 80/90 Tollroad. You will take the Broadway exit from either highway. Hours are Monday - Friday 10-4. We are NOT open on WEEKENDS.