The Vital Records Division is responsible for providing certified birth and death records for individuals who were BORN or DIED in Gary. Records may only be obtained for persons who were born or died after 1910. Proper identification is required.
Birth and death records can be obtained by mail.
HOURS OF OPERATION: Mon. – Fri. 9:00 am to 12 noon; 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
REQUEST ONLINE: // ADD Fillable PDF FORMS HERE for Birth & Death Certificate Request HERE //
Download Form for directions. You will need the following items:
- a Self-Addressed, Stamped Envelope. Please allow 5-7 days mailing time each way for standard mail.
- Contact your local post office for overnight processing and rates (to AND from)
- $15 per copy for birth certificate
- $12 per copy for death certificate
Birth and Death Records
1145 W. 5th Ave.
Gary, Indiana 46402
(219) 882-1113 AND (219) 882-1114
Acceptable forms of Identification:
- Driver’s License
- Picture ID
- Birth Records – $15
- Death Records – $12
- Amended Affidavit – $35
- Paternity Upon Marriage Affidavit – $35
- Paternity Affidavit – $30
NOTE: Paternity Amendments and Affidavits are taken on Thursdays only.