City of Gary 2022 City-Wide Resurfacing Map – October 4, 2022
City of Gary Truck Routes and Restrictions
The City of Gary is committed to reducing the adverse impacts of truck noise and vibrations on residents while ensuring the continued delivery of goods and services to business and residences in the City. The City works toward these goals through a number of efforts, including:
- Management of construction truck activity and routing in the City through the coordinated efforts of the Traffic Department and the Public Works Division;
- and Restricting the operation of through-trucks from sensitive residential streets through coordination with the Traffic Department.
Major Road and Lane Closures
Public Notices and Press Releases will be posted as road and lane closures occur. Long term projects will be posted under Construction Projects
While trucks are permitted on streets where they have a destination on that street, all trucks are encouraged to use the system of designated Truck Routes.
No commercial vehicle weighing in excess of seven and one half tons gross weight shall be permitted upon the boulevards of the city, except that such vehicles may cross a boulevard at an intersection and may enter upon the boulevards, provided that the vehicles shall leave the boulevard at the nearest serviceable cross street.
Wide Load/Over-sized Load Permits
In order to receive a Wide Load or over-sized load permit for a vehicle from the City of Gary
we need the following:
A Letter addressed to:
City of Gary
Public Works Division
Attn Project Manager
401 Broadway Ste 105
Gary IN 46402
Your letter should provide the following details
1) Overall Length, Width, and height of the vehicle
2) Overall Gross weight
3) Spacing of axles, No. of axles and the weight carried by each axle.
4) Proposed Route.
5) How the vehicle will be escorted thru the City Streets.
6) Estimated date of travel by this vehicle if known.
The Board of Public Works and Safety meet only once a week on every Wednesday. Your request should be received at least 5 days prior to their meeting for the staff to review your request and make their recommendation to the Board.