City of Gary Waste Disposal Notice
National Recycling Week: Recycling Day 2022
The mission of the City of Gary Recycling Department is to help protect the environment, to reduce the waste collection and promote programs that will educate the importance of the Three R's: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
Want to learn more about recycling? Check out our explainer video!
Free Recycling Services
Here is a list of services that we provide.
1. Free Recycling Bins - pick up service Monday thru Friday. Place bin at curbside by 7am ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD IN BINS. Co-mingled recycling: Paper, plastic, cardboard and aluminum.
2. E-Waste Recycling - recycling of old or unwanted computers, televisions, and old cell phones. NO PICKUP SERVICE. Residents MUST drop items, at the local Recycling Department at 900 Madison St.
3. Educational Services - provide information on how, what and why it’s important to Recycle. (Residents, Schools, Churches and Small Businesses)
4. Household Hazardous Waste Day 2020- Collection of hazardous waste (batteries, aerosols, old medication and paint, etc.). This year's event is Saturday April 25th 9 am - 2 pm at 455 Massachusetts Street (Hudson-Campbell parking lot). THIS IS THE DAY TO RECYCLE UNWANTED MEDICATION
5. Brown Bag Collection - collection of leaves and grass in brown bags throughout the City.
- Collection dates are as follows: March 30th - November 30th.
- Schedule for pick up:
- Westside of Broadway every 1st and 3rd week of the month, 7 am - 3 pm
- Eastside of Broadway every 2nd and 4th week of the month, 7 am - 3 pm
- PLEASE DO NOT PUT DIRT, ROCKS OR TRASH IN THE BROWN BAGS. NO PLASTIC BAGS PLEASE. DO NOT PUT BAGS IN STREET. PLACE BETWEEN CURB AND SIDEWALK.
6. Free Document Shredding Services - for City of Gary RESIDENTS ONLY (not businesses)
- 900 Madison on Mondays - Wednesdays - Fridays, 8am - 2:30pm.
- Will shred while you wait. Tax ID, SSN information, and other financial information.
- PLEASE REMOVE: Paper Clips, Binders and Staples All other paper can be added to co-mingled recycling