Every piece of land in the City of Gary is zoned. Zoning regulates what types of uses are allowable for that property, and is based on what is proposed by the City’s Comprehensive Plan. Through zoning, the department is able to serve the community by:
- Protecting against land use hazards in the interest of public health and safety
- Controlling the use of land to prevent adverse effects to neighboring properties
- Steering the character of development and uses allowed within specific zoning districts
- Managing density
- Conserving the taxable value of land and buildings in the city
- Clarifying community priorities for existing and future development
Please contact the Zoning Administrator for zoning and land use information at email@example.com.